In Scotland we have the most strictly controlled system of Heraldry in the world. This function is given to the Lord Lyon, King of Arms, with his Lyon Court in Edinburgh.
Arms in Scotland are personal to a named person, which may be inherited by the senior male child. There is no such thing as "Family" Arms. The only heraldry which may be worn by all Lumsdens is the Clan Crest Badge, authorised by the Chief.
Prior to 1672, Arms were recorded by the Heralds in their own Armorials, or in Armorials commissioned by private individuals. These are a rich source of interest.
In 1672, by an Act of Charles II, the Lord Lyon was ordered to examine all Arms in Scotland, decide who was eligible to bear Arms "which have been used from the beginning of time" and record these in a "Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland. The following four Arms were recorded in the first Folio.
The 1672 Act also allowed the Lord Lyon to grant Arms upon petition to "Grant Arms to virtuous and well deserving persons". This is the system still in use. Persons who have Armigerous ancestors can petition for a differenced version of these Arms, or can petition for a new set of Arms.
1562 Blanerne of That Ilk
1600 Lumisden of Blanerne
1582 Lumsdaine of Blanerne
1592 Lummesdaine of Blanerne
1672 Robert Lumsden of Stravithie
1672 Sir James Lumsden of Innergellie
1672 William Lumsden of Rennyhill
1680 Alexander Lumsden of Cushnie
1863 James Lumsden
1899 David James Lumsden
1908 Henry Lumsden of Pitcaple
1937 Robert Lumsden
1982 Russell Lumsden
1985 Cren Lumsden Younger of that Ilk
1992 Archie Lumsden
1997 James Ralph Lumsdaine of Innergellie
There are 16 living Armigers with name of Lumsden.
As the eldest son of The Chief, Cren Lumsden bears his fathers Arms with a label of three.
Click on images to enalrge.
Lumsden Clan Crest Badge
Where there is a Clan Chief of the surname, these Arms will be based on the Chief's Arms. (All Lumsdens are assumed to be related, even from the distant past). The next eight images are a selection from the 26 Arms which have been registered since 1672.