Airdrie House, Fife - Bought by John "Lummysden", a cadet of the Blanerne line, in 1450 and remained in the family until 1605
AIRDRIE HOUSE, FIFE
Belhevie, Aberdeenshire - Hary Lumsden of Pitcaple bought this in 1780. It descended to his fifth son, Colonel Thomas Lumsden, inherited by his son Sir Harry Burnett Lumsden and remained in the family until 1957.
BLANERENE HOUSE, BERWICKSHIRE
Blanerne Castle is the remains of a 16th-century fortified house, located in the grounds of Blanerne House, an 18th-century country house between Chirnside and Preston in the Scottish Borders. It was the home of the Lumsdaines in the 14th and 15th centuries.The house and castle sit on the north bank of the Whiteadder Water, around 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) north-east of Duns. The house is currently operated as a guest house, offering access to fishing and game shooting. Both the house and castle are category B listed buildings and the castle is further protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
BUCHROMB HOUSE, ABERDEENSHIRE
Buchromb House, Aberdeenshire - Built in about 1813 by Sir Peter Stark Lumsden, from the line of Pitcaple, the house was destroyed by fire in 1952.
Clova, Aberdeenshire - The Lumsdens have lived on this estate from about the 1400s. Eventually inherited by Henry Lumsden, second son of Hary Lumsden of Pitcaple, it remained in the family until 1954. Nearby is the present village of Lumsden, founded to house workers from the Clova and Auchindoir estates.
Huntingtower, Perthshire - Built in 1893 on the site of a previous House, this was owned by a Lumsden family from Fife. Now a hotel, this was also the site of a huge bleaching works. It remained in the family until 1950s.
INNERGELLIE HOUSE, FIFE
Innergellie House, Fife - The estate was bought by Sir James Lumsdaine in about 1640, most of the present house dating from about 1730. Was held by the Lumsdaines and the Sandys-Lumsdaines until 1967.
Mountquhannie, Fife - Near Cupar, this property was bought in about 1630 by Rober Lumsdaine, a brother of Sir James of Innergellie. Robert was the Governor of Dundee during the Cromwellian seige of 1651, when he died. the estate then passed out of the family.
PITCAPLE CASTLE, ABERDEENSHIRE
Pitcaple Castle, Aberdeenshire - An ancient seat of the Leslies, passed by marriage to the Lumsdens in the 1700s. Inherited by Hary Lumsden in 1780, the descendants of this family have lived here to the present day. Pitcaple Castle was restored by William Burn in 1830. Over the centuries the castle has been visited by King James IV, Mary, Queen of Scots and King Charles II.
TILLYCAIRN CASTLE, ABERDEENSHIRE
Tillycairn Castle, Aberdeenshire - came in to the Lumsden family when Mathew Lumsden married Annabel Forbes in about 1540. passed out of the family , but was bought by David Lumsden of Cushnie in 1980, who restored the ruin to its present state.
LATHALLAN HOUSE, FIFE
Lathallan House, Fife - Bought in 1788 from the Spens family by John Lumsdaine, a younger son of the Innergellie line. This elegant house was built on the site. In about 1878, the house estate was sold out of the family. After various uses, the house became the Lathallan Boys School in 1928, but was completely burnt down in 1949, when the school moved to its present site near Stonehaven.
Click on images to enlarge
Blanerne House. Berwickshire - The present Mansion was built in 1897 after a fire destroyed the previous house. The Lumsdaines and Sandys-Lumsdaines lived on this site from the 1320s until 1920.
The castle was the historical seat of the Lumsdaine family for over four centuries. The surviving remains are dated to the 16th century, although the site may have been occupied as far back as the 12th century.
Little remains of the Southern stronghold of the Lumsdens, Blanerne Castle, on the banks of the Whiteadder in Berwickshire, save one of the flanking towers. Nearby stands the fine Manor house of Blanerne, rebuilt in 1895 after a disastrous fire. Sadly it was sold by the Lumsdaines in 1929.
CUSHNIE HOUSE, ABERDEENSHIRE
Cushnie New House was built in the 1860s by Henry Thomas Lumsden of Cushnie and was demolished in the 1900s.
The nearby Cushnie Old House (Cushnie Lodge) was built in 1688 by Alexander Lumsden of Cushnie and was restored in 1970 by David Lumsden, Baron of Cushnie