lumsden_cresttransparent 1 Beware in Tyme 4 Beware in Tyme 27 PNG.NO Eagle & Salmon 1 Eagle & Salmon 2

Girton College was established by Emily Davies in 1869 in Hitchin a village 27 miles from Cambridge, as the first college for women students, studying for the Tripos examinations. Among the first five students was Louisa Lumsden. She completed the course and went on to become a lecturer at the college. Her vision was for a ‘Scottish Girton’, where a woman had a better chance of meeting her full potential while at university by residing with other students who had the same goals of ‘self-development’. She met formidable opposition, and retired in 1900. After some years she resigned after conflicts with Emily Davies about neglect of student welfare.


Lumsden bought the game of Lacrosse to Scotland after watching the game in Canada. Lumsden, in a letter written home from the White Mountains in New Hampshire dated 6 September 1884, recounted her visit to watch the Canghuwaya Indians play lacrosse against the Montreal Club in Montreal. She wrote: It is a wonderful game, beautiful and graceful. (I was so charmed with it that I introduced it at St Leonards.)"

Miss Lumsden resigned from St Leonards in 1882 but Rosabelle Sinclair, who established the first women's lacrosse team in the United States attended St Leonards between 1906 and 1910. Rosabelle Sinclair established lacrosse for girls at the Bryn Mawr School in Baltimore, Maryland.

In 1894 Lumsden became the first Warden of University Hall, University of St.Andrews. The Lumsden Wing at University Hall, St.Andrews was opened in 1962.


She travelled widely, often with her sister Rachel Lumsden, settling in Aberdeen in 1908 where she became active in the suffragist campaign for women’s votes. Alongside Eleanor Mildred Sidgwick, she was awarded an LLD by the St Andrews University in 1911 at the Quincentenary celebrations, the only women so honoured out of over 100 recipients. Her robes were bought for her by former pupils from St Leonards. She chose to interpret the honorary degree as amends for the University’s past treatment. She was made a Dame of the British Empire for her services to education in 1925. In 1914 she addressed wartime recruitment meetings and worked in the Chemistry laboratories for the Ministry of Scientific Warfare. In her eighties she worked for the Unionist Party and Women's Rural Industries and was created DBE in 1925.


Miss Lumsden's autobiography, Yellow Leaves (1933), was eventually presented to the US Lacrosse Museum in Baltimore.




Sir Harry Burnett Lumsden

In 1848 Sir Harry Burnett Lumsden originated the khaki uniform for the British Army.


Lumsden was born aboard the East India Company’s ship Rose in the Bay of Bengal, the son of a British Army Colonel Thomas Lumsden, C.B. He was shipped to Scotland to study at age 6, and returned to India at age 16.


Lumsden joined the 59th Bengal Native Infantry in 1838, was present at the forcing of the Khyber Pass in 1842. He fought in the First and Second Sikh Wars, being wounded at Sobraon.


He became assistant to Sir Henry Lawrence at Lahore in 1846, and in 1847 was appointed to raise the Corps of Guides. On 6 February 1847 Lumsden wrote to his father: "..I have just been nominated to raise the corps of Guides. It will be the finest appointment in the country..". [1] A few months later he was joined by his Second-in-Command, William Stephen Raikes Hodson, who wrote to his brother (George Hodson) on 16 September 1847 "..of my good fortune... I am to be the Second-in-Command with the Corps of Guides". [2]


The object of the new Corps, composed of horse cavalry and foot soldiers, was to provide trustworthy men to act as guides to troops in the field, and also to collect intelligence beyond as well as within the North-West frontier of India. The regiment was located at Mardan on the Peshawar border, and became one of the most famous in the Indian army. For the equipment of this corps, Lumsden originated the khaki uniform in 1848. " connection with clothing and arming the new Guide Corps, Lumsden had left such matters almost entirely in his subaltern Hodson's hands. The two men agreed in the choice of Khaki or dust colour for the uniform of the Guides.." [3]


In 1857 he was sent on a mission to Kandahar with his younger brother, Sir Peter Lumsden, and Henry Walter Bellew in connection with the subsidy paid by the Indian government to the amir, and was in Afghanistan throughout the Indian Rebellion. He took part in the Waziri Expedition of 1860, was in command of the Hyderabad Contingent from 1862, and left India in 1869.


He was promoted to lieutenant-general in 1875; that same year he retired and moved to Scotland where he spent the rest of his days.


Born 12 November 1821

On board the Rose, Bay of Bengal


Died 12 August 1896

Belhelvie, Scotland, United Kingdom


Allegiance United Kingdom United Kingdom


Service/branch  British Indian Army


Rank Lieutenant-General


Battles/wars First Anglo-Afghan War


First Anglo-Sikh War


Second Anglo-Sikh War


Indian Rebellion


Awards Knight Commander of the Order of the Star of India


Companion of the Order of the Bath

During the night of 24 October 1942, the planned British assault of infantry and engineers over the Miteiriya Ridge during the Second Battle of El Alamein failed. Despite having agreed to Mongomery's battle plan, Lumsden believed it was impossible for his 10th Corps armour to fight its way into the open without incurring appalling casualties from uncleared minefields and ongoing anti-tank fire. He wanted to pull his tanks back and send them into battle once the assault of infantry and engineers had taken place as originally planned.


In the early hours of 25 October, Lumsden argued fiercely with Montgomery that his armour should be pulled back. When Montgomery insisted the attack continue, Lumsden asked one of his tank commanders Major General Alexander Gatehouse commanding 10th Armoured Division, to back him up. In a heated telephone conversation with Montgomery, Gatehouse said that he concurred with Lumsden and that to advance through uncharted and uncleared minefields, covered by strong batteries of anti-tank guns, with the noise of tank tracks making surprise impossible, would be disastrous. Montgomery modified the scope of the attack from six armoured regiments to one: the Staffordshire Yeomanry. It lost all but fifteen of its tanks and the operation ended where it had begun, on the wrong side of the Miteiriya Ridge having failed to break through with the armour.[2]


Ultimately the Allies were victorious at El Alamein, but for Lumsden, his confrontation with Montgomery in the heat of battle proved ruinous. Lumsden was replaced by Horrocks, who had previously recommended Lumsden to Montgomery, while Gatehouse was also removed from command.[3] On his return to London, Lumsden was heard to comment, "I've just been sacked because there isn't room in the desert for two cads like Monty and me".[4] After Lumsden's death in 1945 Montgomery, notoriously sensitive to criticism of his generalship, unjustly blamed the near failure of his offensive on 24/25 October 1942 on alleged cowardice by Lumsden.[5][6]


Lumsden was liked and respected by Winston Churchill. He was given command of VIII Corps in Britain in January 1943 and command of II Corps in July, before being sent to the Pacific as Winston Churchill's special military representative to United States Army General Douglas MacArthur.[1][7][8] Lumsden was killed by a Japanese kamikaze plane while on the bridge of the United States Navy battleship USS New Mexico in Lingayen Gulf observing the bombardment of Luzon on 6 January 1945, becoming the most senior British Army combat casualty of the Second World War.


Time Magazine obituary


"A General Dies at Sea"[9]


Leading the armored pack when Montgomery chased Rommel, the Desert Fox, out of Africa was hard-riding Herbert Lumsden, commander of the X Corps. A Lieutenant-General at the age of 45, he was accounted one of Britain's most brilliant young commanders.


But lean, gimlet-eyed Lumsden, who had risen from the ranks, became involved in a ruinous personal disagreement with his superior officers. Winston Churchill assigned Lumsden as his liaison officer with General MacArthur in the Southwest Pacific. There Lumsden faithfully did his routine duty with a heavy heart and longed for another combat command.


On the first day of the Luzon bombardment General Lumsden was killed on the bridge of a U.S. warship in Lingayen Gulf. In London, the War Office announced his death "with deep regret." MacArthur did better by him: "It is superfluous for me to speak of the complete courage which this officer so frequently displayed.... His general service and usefulness to the Allied cause was beyond praise." The Chief of the Imperial General Staff described his death as "a great loss".[10]


Standing only the width of the ship's bridge away from Lumsden, with whom he had been discussing the action, was Admiral Sir Bruce Fraser, commander in chief of the British Pacific Fleet. He got nothing worse than "a bit of a bang in the ears." Sir Bruce will soon lead his own powerful fleet into battle under U.S. overall command.

Gen_H_Lumsden_circa_1943_IWM - By Unknown - Imperial War Museum, London, UK,


Lieutenant-General Herbert Lumsden CB, DSO & Bar, MC (8 April 1897 – 6 January 1945) was a senior British Army officer who fought in both World War I and World War II. He was the most senior British Army combat casualty of the Second World War.


Herbert Lumsden was born at Clanfield, Oxfordshire on 8 April 1897, the son of John Lumsden. Educated at The Leys School, at the outbreak of the First World War he was only 17 years old. He served in the ranks with the Territorial Force for ten months before passing into the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. He was commissioned into the Royal Horse Artillery on 13 August 1916.[1] On 26 July 1918 Lumsden was awarded the Military Cross.


The citation read:


For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during 13 days of continuous fighting in charge of a forward section. He invariably showed the greatest coolness and courage in the face of danger, keeping his section in action, and always volunteering for any officer's patrol work. As FOO he was consistently shelled whenever he moved his OP, and, although finally wounded, he continued to work and observe for his battery.


On 19 April 1923 Lumsden married Alice Mary Roddick in Northaw. They would have two sons together. Lumsden continued to serve in the Royal Artillery until 24 June 1925, when he transferred to the 12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales), a cavalry regiment.[1] In August he was promoted from lieutenant to captain after eight years in the former rank. He was an ardent horseman, despite his 6 ft height, and participated in a number of Grand Nationals. In 1926 he won the Grand Military Gold Cup at Sandown riding Foxtrot.


In 1929 Lumsden attended and passed the Staff College, Camberley course. Promoted to major in 1931, he held staff appointments in the cavalry for the next four years, being GSO3 of Aldershot Command and then Brigade Major of the 1st Cavalry Brigade. After a period of not being employed he became GSO2 at the Staff College before being given command, in 1938, of his old regiment, the 12th Royal Lancers in succession to Colonel Richard McCreery.[1] He was still in command of the regiment, now converted to armoured cars, at the outbreak of the Second World War.


Lumsden was widely praised for his command of his regiment during the retreat to Dunkirk in 1940 as part of the British Expeditionary Force. For his actions he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO). He was promoted and commanded a tank brigade before being appointed General Officer Commanding (GOC) of 6th Armoured Division in the Home Command in October 1941.


On 5 November 1941 he was given command of the 1st Armoured Division. It was in this role that he first saw service in the North African Campaign. A forceful personality, he was wounded twice in 1942 (having to hand over his command from January to March), received a Bar to his DSO and, on his return to service, survived Bernard Montgomery's cull of Eighth Army commanders.


Lumsden was appointed commander of X Corps[1] for the Second Battle of El Alamein upon the recommendation of Lieutenant General Brian Horrocks, who turned the command down in his favour.

Born     8 April 1897  Clanfield, Oxfordshire


Died     6 January 1945 (aged 47)  

            Lingayen Gulf, Philippines


Allegiance  United Kingdom


Service/branch  British Army


Years of service     1916–1945


Rank     Lieutenant General


Unit     Royal Horse Artillery

          12th Royal Lancers

          Commands held 12th Royal Lancers

          28th Armoured Brigade

          6th Armoured Division

          1st Armoured Division

          X Corps

          VIII Corps

          II Corps


Battles/wars     World War I & World War II


Awards     Companion of the Order of the Bath

                Distinguished Service Order & Bar

                Military Cross


Montgomery with his Corps Commanders:

Lumsden, Leese and Horrocks.

Lieutenant-General Herbert Lumsden CB, DSO & Bar, MC

Brigadier General Frederick William Lumsden VC, CB, DSO & Three Bars (14 December 1872 – 4 June 1918) was a British officer in Royal Marine Artillery and later the General Staff, during the First World War. During his service he was decorated four times for valourous service and saw action in several major campaigns before he was killed just months before the war's end in June 1918 with the rank of Brigadier-General. Amongst his decorations was the Victoria Cross, the most prestigious award available to British or Commonwealth troops. He was also the first of seven British officers to be awarded the DSO four times in the First World War.


Frederick William Lumsden was born into a military family in Faizabad, India on 14 December 1872. His father, James Foot Lumsden, worked in the Indian Civil Service.[1] At a young age he returned to Britain and attended Bristol Grammar School.

Lumsden joined the Royal Marine Artillery as a junior officer in 1890. He served in the Marine Service until 1907, spending time in the Mediterranean and four years on Ascension Island. He entered the Staff College, qualifying in 1908. He then became the second staff officer at Singapore, and was promoted to the rank of major in 1913. He returned home for war service in the months leading up to the outbreak of hostilities in August 1914. He served in France with the Royal Marine howitzer brigade in France until 1915 and was then seconded to serve in staff appointments with the British Army. He was promoted to the rank of temporary brigadier general to command the 14th Infantry Brigade in April 1917.


On 1 January 1917, Major Lumsden was awarded his first Distinguished Service Order "for distinguished service in the field".[3] The first and second bars to his DSO were gazetted together in May 1917,[4] and was the first person to receive a third bar in April 1918.[5]


On 8 June 1917, the awarding of the Victoria Cross to Major Lumsden was approved. This was for actions that took place between 3 and 4 April 1917 in Francilly, France. The citation in the London Gazette reads as follows:[6]

Maj. Frederick William Lumsden, D.S.O., R.M.A.

For most conspicuous bravery, determination and devotion to duty.  Six enemy field guns having been captured, it was necessary to leave them in dug-in positions, 300 yards in advance of the position held by our troops. The enemy kept the captured guns under heavy fire.


Maj. Lumsden undertook the duty of bringing the guns into our lines.

Brigadier General Frederick William Lumsden VC, CB, DSO & Three Bars

Born     14 December 1872

            Faizabad, India


Died     4 June 1918 (aged 45)

           Blairvill, Arras, France


Allegiance     United Kingdom


Service/branch   Naval Ensign of the United Kingdom.svg Royal Marines


Years of service     1890–1918


Rank     Brigadier General



Royal Marine Artillery, General Staff

Commands held 14th Infantry Brigade

No. 1 Howitzer Battery, Royal Marine Artillery

Royal Marine Artillery Howitzer Brigade


Battles/wars     First World War



Victoria Cross

Companion of the Order of the Bath

Distinguished Service Order & Three Bars

Mentioned in Despatches (4)

Croix de guerre (Belgium)


In order to effect this, he personally led four artillery teams and a party of infantry through the hostile barrage. As one of these teams sustained casualties, he left the remaining teams in a covered position, and, through very heavy rifle, machine gun and shrapnel fire, led the infantry to the guns. By force of example and inspiring energy he succeeded in sending back two teams with guns, going through the barrage with the teams of the third gun. He then returned to the guns to await further teams, and these he succeeded in attaching to two of the three remaining guns, despite rifle fire, which had become intense at short range, and removed the guns to safety.



By this time the enemy, in considerable strength, had driven through the infantry covering points, and blown up the breach of the remaining gun.


Maj. Lumsden then returned, drove off the enemy, attached the gun to a team and got it away.


He was appointed as a Companion of the Order of the Bath on 3 June 1918, just a few days before his death.[7] He was also mentioned in dispatches on four occasions, and awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre.


He was killed in action at Blairvill, near Arras, France, on 4 June 1918: he was shot through the head and died instantly. He is buried in the Berles New Military Cemetery, Berles-au-Bois, France.[1] He was survived by his widow and daughter. He married Mary, the daughter of Lieutenant General Thomas N. Harward of the Royal Artillery, in December 1894, and they had one daughter, Violet.


In 1920, the Mess of the Royal Marines commissioned H. Donald Smith to paint two portraits of Lumsden. The work is now housed in the Royal Marines Museum in the Royal Marine Artillery Barracks, Southsea, Portsmouth, England.[8] His Victoria Cross is also displayed at the museum.

Sir Peter Stark Lumsden

General Sir Peter Stark Lumsden GCB CSI DL (9 November 1829 – 9 November 1918) was a British military officer who served in India. Born in Belhelvie, Aberdeenshire, he was the fourth son of Colonel Thomas Lumsden CB. He studied at Addiscombe Military Seminary, before officially joining military service as an ensign in the 60th Bengal Native Infantry in 1847. From 1852 to 1857 he served on the North-West Frontier, where, among other activities, he participated in the suppression of the Indian Rebellion of 1857 and the capture of Tantya Tope in 1859.

Following his time on the North-West Frontier, Lumsden served as quartermaster general in 1860 during the Second Opium War, where he participated in the capture of both Tang-ku and the Taku Forts. He was promoted to brevet-lieutenant-colonel, before giving his final act of military service in the Bhutan War of 1865. He was promoted again to Adjutant-General of the Indian Army in 1874, and also acted as aide-de-camp to Queen Victoria for eleven years.

In 1883, Lumsden was awarded a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath and was appointed as a commissioner on the Council of India for 10 years. He represented Britain a year later at the Anglo-Russian Commission for the demarcation of the north-west boundary of Afghanistan, then acted as British representative on the Afghan Frontier Commission. After retiring from military service in 1893, Lumsden served as a justice of the peace in his home county of Aberdeenshire, before dying on his 89th birthday, 9 November 1918, in Dufftown, Banffshire.

General Sir Peter Stark Lumsden GCB CSI DL  

This military portrait above of Sir Peter Lumsden (1829–1918) is from an album of rare historical photographs depicting people and places associated with the Second Anglo-Afghan War. Lumsden’s first posting in the region was in the North-West Frontier of British India in the 1850s, where as an ensign in the 60th Bengal Native Infantry he participated in the suppression of rebellions by several Pashtun tribes. He also served in the Second Opium War and the Bhutan War. He was adjutant general of the Indian army 1874–79 and then was promoted in 1879 to chief of staff under the commander in chief of India, Sir Frederick Haines (1819–1909). The Second Anglo-Afghan War began in November 1878 when Great Britain, fearful of what it saw as growing Russian influence in Afghanistan, invaded the country from British India. The first phase of the war ended in May 1879 with the Treaty of Gandamak, which permitted the Afghans to maintain internal sovereignty but forced them to cede control over their foreign policy to the British.


Lumsden circa 1879

Born     9 November 1829

            Belhelvie, Aberdeenshire


Died     9 November 1918 (aged 89)

            Dufftown, Banffshire


Allegiance     United Kingdom


Service/branch     British Raj Indian Army


Years of service     1847–1887


Rank     General



Indian Rebellion of 1857

Second Opium War

Bhutan War

Second Anglo-Afghan War



Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath

Companion of the Order of the Star of India

Mentioned in Despatches


Relations Harry Burnett Lumsden


Other work Justice of the peace

Fighting resumed in September 1879, after an anti-British uprising in Kabul, and finally concluded in September 1880 with the decisive Battle of Kandahar. The album includes portraits of British and Afghan leaders and military personnel, portraits of ordinary Afghan people, and depictions of British military camps and activities, structures, landscapes, and cities and towns. The sites shown are all located within the borders of present-day Afghanistan or Pakistan (a part of British India at the time). About a third of the photographs were taken by John Burke (circa 1843–1900), another third by Sir Benjamin Simpson (1831–1923), and the remainder by several other photographers. Some of the photographs are unattributed. The album possibly was compiled by a member of the British Indian government, but this has not been confirmed. How it came to the Library of Congress is not known.


Leslie Ward - Published in Vanity Fair, 8 August 1885. Downloaded from,id,2148492.html National Portrait Gallery: NPG D6759


Caricature of Major-General Sir Peter Stark Lumsden GCB. CSI. (1829-1918). Caption read "Afghan frontier".

Caricature of Lumsden by Leslie Ward, from Vanity Fair, 8 August 1885


Matthew Lumsden (1777–1835) was a Scottish orientalist. He was educated at King's College, Aberdeen, Scotland, and held a professorship of Persian and Arabic at the College of Fort William, India.


He was fifth son of John Lumsden of Cushnie, Aberdeenshire. After being educated at King's College, Old Aberdeen, he went to India as assistant professor of Persian and Arabic in the college of Fort William, and in 1808 succeeded to the professorship. In 1812 he was appointed secretary to the Calcutta Madrasa, and superintended translations of English works into Persian then in progress. From 1814 until 1817 he had charge of the company's press at Calcutta, and in 1818 he became secretary to the stationery committee.[1]


In bad health, Lumsden left India on furlough in March 1820, and travelled with his cousin, Lieutenant Thomas Lumsden, through Persia, Georgia, and Russia to England. An account of this journey was published by Lieutenant Lumsden in 1822.[1]


Lumsden returned to India in 1821. He died at Tooting Common, Surrey, on 31 March 1835. From King's College, Old Aberdeen, to which he presented his own and many other oriental works, he received in 1808 the degree of LL.D

Matthew Lumsden

James Lumsden

James Lumsden (1598–1660) was a Scottish soldier who served in the Swedish army of Gustavus Adolphus during the Thirty Years' War, and subsequently commanded Scottish Covenanter armies.


Having commanded a regiment of Scottish soldiers in Swedish service, and fought at the Battle of Lutzen as part of John Hepburn's Green Brigade.[1] Lumsden was made governor of Osnabrük in May 1634 which he held with his regiment until relieved by Field Marshal Alexander Leslie in 1636 against considerable odds.[2] Lumsden left the Swedish Army in 1639 like many Scottish officers and returned to Scotland. He commanded troops during the Bishop's Wars, and in 1644 he was Sergeant Major General of Foot in General Alexander Leslie's Covenanter Army which entered England to support the English Parliament during the First English Civil War. He played a major part in the Battle of Marston Moor, and though many of his own regiment were routed, he did much to regroup the remainder and rally the reserve battalions which helped secure victory for the allied forces of the parliaments.[3] Lumsden left an account of the battle, published anonymously[4]


Lumsden was subsequently Lieutenant General of Horse in the Covenanter Army which, now fighting for King Charles II, was defeated at the Battle of Dunbar in 1650. He was captured, and released in 1652.


British India gave rise to a number of notable regiments and among them were few which could compare with the individualism, élan, fame and prowess of the Corps of Guides.


This magnificent unit was formed in 1847 to comprise both cavalry and infantry and its purpose was to provide reliable men to act as guides to forces active in the field and to act as intelligence gatherers on the troubled borderlands of the North West Frontier. Its men were drawn from the fierce tribal men of the high country of the north of the Sub-Continent and their martial traditions ensured they were troops of the highest calibre.


The man called upon to raise and command this exemplary unit was Harry Burnett Lumsden. Born aboard ship in the Bay of Bengal in 1821, the son of a serving officer in India, Lumsden had India in his blood from the outset. He joined the 59th Bengal Native Infantry in 1838 and was engaged in the disastrous First Afghan War at the forcing of the Khyber Pass.


British India could only be consolidated as a whole by the subjugation of its most significant military power, the Sikhs of the Punjab and Lumsden fought in both Sikh Wars-being wounded at Sobraon in the first of them in February 1846. It was, however, for his creation of the Guides that he earned his fame as one of the notable figures of British India. This is the story of Lumsden's life and campaigns and it is an invaluable addition to any library of the Raj period.


Leonaur editions are newly typeset and are not facsimiles; each title is available in softcover and hardback with dustjacket; our hardbacks are cloth bound and feature gold foil lettering on their spines and fabric head and tail bands.

James Lumsden

JAMES Lumsden, or Hamish as he was more generally known, who has died aged 98, was one of Scotland's best-known lawyers and businessmen.


He was born at Arden House, the family home on Loch Lomondside, to James Robert Lumsden, who was later knighted, and Henrietta Macfarlane Lumsden, nee Reid. His grandfather was Sir James Lumsden, a former Lord Provost of Glasgow.


He was educated at Cargilfield School, Edinburgh, where he was head boy and from where he won a scholarship to Rugby School. From there he went on to win a further scholarship to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Handsome, urbane and hugely intelligent, he studied Classics and Law at Cambridge and secured degrees in both, including a First Class Honours in Law for which he won the Bishop Green Cup in 1936.


He completed his studies with an LLB postgraduate degree at the University of Glasgow while also working as a law apprentice with the firm of Mackenzie, Roberton, where his great uncle, Robert Mackenzie of Caldarvan, had been a senior partner until his death in 1936.


During his second year at the University of Glasgow he joined the 74th Heavy Anti Aircraft regiment as a second lieutenant. His unit was mobilised just days before the declaration of war and thus his three-year apprenticeship with Mackenzie Roberton was deemed to have been completed.


His unit was initially deployed to cover the ICI works at Mossend, Lanarkshire, and subsequently at vulnerable and important sites around the Clyde basin, including Rosneath Peninsula and Cardross.


He was posted as part of a cadre to train a new AA battery at Oswestry, where he was swiftly promoted to the rank of captain before moving to Wick and from there, within just a few weeks, to brigade major in King's Park, Glasgow.


It was while in this post at the headquarters of 42 AA Brigade that he was in charge of the Operations Room during two nights of the Clydebank Blitz in 1941.


A year later, he was posted to Edinburgh, where he served as an intelligence officer before being transferred to Southampton to command the AA regiments deployed in that area to cover the Normandy invasion, which took place in June, 1944. He also had to deal with the VI flying bombs aimed at London and it was at that time he was awarded the MBE (Military).


He was demobilised on his 31st birthday.


In April 1946 he joined the Glasgow law firm Maclay Murray and Spens on secondment from Mackenzie Roberton to gain experience in company and commercial law before returning to Mackenzie Roberton as a partner. However, later that year he was offered a partnership by Maclay Murray that he readily accepted.


In January 1947, while on a skiing holiday in Davos, he became engaged to Sheila Cross from Kirkcudbrightshire. They were married in Borgue Parish Church in June, 1947.


It was the start of 61 years of a very happy marriage and partnership. They made their home at Bannachra, near Helensburgh, on the Arden Estate and it was there that they raised three sons, James, Ian and Michael who (together with nine grandchildren and one great grandchild) survive them today.


Bannachra was their home for 54 of these years until they moved to a smaller house at Craigendoran, near Helensburgh.


Hamish Lumsden had a remarkable career in the law and in business. Having become a partner in the Maclay Murray and Spens in 1947, he stayed with the firm, in which he became the senior partner, until 1982 when he retired aged 67.


Here is a selection of historical snippets, images and links of several Lumsdens of note.

DAME LOUISA INNES LUMSDEN (1840-1935), born into a wealthy family in Aberdeen, Scotland. She was the youngest of seven children and was educated in private schools in Cheltenham, Brussels and London. She was a lecturer in classics at Girton College, Cambridge and the first Headmistress of St Leonards School, Fife. She is credited with introducing lacrosse to the Scotland. Lumsden was a pioneer in women’s education, headmistress and suffragist. She was an active animal welfare and anti-vivisection campaigner, editing "Our Fellow Mortals" for 11 years. One of the first students of Girton College, Cambridge, she was leader of the ‘Girton Five’ or ‘Girton pioneers’. She was founding headmistress of St Leonards School, the first school for girls in Scotland modelled on English public schools. She left in 1882 to look after her invalid mother, travelling widely after her death and returning to St Andrews in 1894 as founder and first warden of University Hall, the first purpose-built hall of residence for women in Scotland.


Dame Louisa Innes Lumsden DBE


Dame Louisa Innes Lumsden-